Church Run Rockets - 2019 Pre-Team Information
- Your child will be evaluated by the coaches to determine if they are a candidate for swim lessons, the pre-team swim program, or the swim team. Since our team and pre-team costs are same for our youngest swimmers, you should go ahead and register for the pre-team during online registration. If it is suggested that your child take some swim lessons to prepare them for the pre-team, your payment will be refunded. Our coaches will be offering swim lessons to swimmers not quite ready for pre-team.
- Evaluations will be held on Wednesday, 5/15 from 5-7pm and Saturday, 5/18 from 2-4 pm. You may choose one of these dates and come anytime during the time frame to have your child evaluated. There is no need to register for a particular date or time; just show up.
- Pre-team practices start on Tuesday, May 28.
- Practices, until school is out, will be from 4:15 to 5:00 p.m. in the afternoon. While you only have to attend two practices a week, we encourage you to come to as many pre-team practices as you are able to make. Practices are held Monday through Thursday 4:15 - 5:00.
- There will be two summer sessions, one from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. and one from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m., on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. During the summer session, pre-team swimmers will have practice three times a week.
- If your child attends the 8:00 a.m. session, you must be willing to leave your child at the pool alone with our coaches. You can observe from the entranceway, but no one other than swimmers are allowed on the pool deck during out-of-hours practices (practices held outside of regular pool hours). This rule is in place to satisfy our insurance requirements. During out-of-hours practices, we only hire lifeguards to watch the pool, not the pool deck. You are welcome to get your child settled before practice and to come on the deck to pick them up; you just can’t stay on the pool deck for the duration of the practice. If this makes you uncomfortable, you may want to consider signing up for the afternoon practice.
- The goal of our pre-team program is to build your child’s endurance and confidence and to teach proper stroke technique. Once your child can swim a full length of the pool, with proper stroke technique, he or she will graduate to the swim team. At this time, your child will begin practicing with the regular swim team and no longer practice with the pre-team. This determination will be made by the team coaches.
- Families of pre-team only swimmers are not required to volunteer until you have a swimmer approved to move up to our competitive team.The number of volunteer points required will depend on the time in the season that this occurs.For those families that are new to the swim team, we try to make the volunteer job one that offers an easier transition to meet volunteering. We promise to do our best to ease you into the swim meet experience!
Please Note: If your family already has a child on the team, you will NOT be asked to do any additional hours. We currently only require 4 points per family, regardless of the number of kids! This applies to those families who only have swimmers in the pre-team practice group.